Sunday, September 20, 2009

Market.

Here are some of the pictures from my adventure to the top of the hill behind my apartment. On the way to the base of the hill we walked through an outdoor (but covered) market. There are a lot of them around here, so this is just ONE of the many I have seen. Also, I have come down with a bit of a cold this weekend, so this post will not be really anything but these pictures. I just want to lay down some more. It is just a cold, but I really don't want to have this feeling while trying to teach. This week the kids take their monthly tests, so I am looking forward to seeing how they are progressing and if they are learning anything. Hopefully they are. We will see. Anyway, gonna try and destroy this cold now. Sorry this is so short. Also, sorry about this disorder of these pictures. I keep trying to make this website do what I want it to, but I still haven't really gotten it right yet. Hopefully sometime soon so you can follow along even easier. Until then...good luck.
1. BIG octopus for sale. How do you get them home? Seriously, if you were to have stretched these out they would have been as long as I am tall.

2. Beautiful looking fish. Now, if I only knew which ones to buy...

3. Tiny little octopus for sale. Grab a handful...or mouthful.

4. Sting rays. Yum?

5. Lots and lots of tiny dried fishes. Used for everything from soups to arts and crafts time. It's true. I saw them using them for an art project on TV once.

6. Lots and lots of peppers. You find these EVERYWHERE. These are used to make a lot of different things, but the main thing is kimchi. Spicy, delicious, and the cure for everything. hmmm...I should get some for my cold.

7. Out of the market, down the road, and onward to the base of the trail.

8. The base of the hill, start of the hike. My new friend and fellow teacher Tracy leads me up the stairs to...

9. Some great views...

10. Some nice trees...

11. And a pagoda filled with some really nice people who offered some very refreshing drinks called mokele and some delicious homemade food. They didn't speak any English, but they were so very friendly.

12. Blake and I at the top of the pagoda, looking out at the part of the city we live in. Keep in mind this is just a SMALL part of Seoul. A very, very small part.

13. Same view...fewer people.

14. At the end of the hike we discovered a natural spring. The water was cool and refreshing and it was delicious. I have been meaning to get back there in order to fill up some of my own water containers.

It was a good day for a hike. Now it is starting to feel like fall outside, so I am curious to see this area as the trees begin to change color and drop their leaves.












3 comments:

  1. sorry to hear you're sick.

    all that fishy stuff looks ... ewww haha :-)

    Hope you get to feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Todd, we saw the article about your adventure in the Hampton Chronicle and are following your blog. You are our "eyes" & "ears" & "nose"(-: because we will never make it to Korea, but we like to hear about other places.
    Is fish a major part of your menus?
    We will be signed in for comments as Prairie Schooners--our name for our blog about our deliveries of motor homes--only in US & Canada!
    Hope you find a way to beat that cold!
    Jim & Shirley Klooster

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually have only eaten fish ONCE since getting here. It was good, but I am waiting for pay day so that I can eat some REAL fish. Something exotic, fresh...and probably raw. I am sure you will see a post about that day.

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete